Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:58:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Boris Popov <bp@butya.kz>, John LoVerso <loverso@infolibria.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Andrey A. Chernov wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 08:47:36PM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > filesystems. For example, should we limit all FreeBSD file names to 8.3
> > single-case in case someone wants to run from an old-style MSDOS
> > partition?
>
> Bad example. Not _all_ filenames but temp. ones only which allows to run
> FreeBSD binary in MSDOS FS with MSDOS files.

The point is the same. Files created by FreeBSD binaries during the course
of operation don't conform to an 8.3 monocase naming scheme (think of
dotfiles for example). I don't believe there's such a thing as a lowest
common denominator of file system naming conventions - either a filesystem
can support UFS names (perhaps through a translation later) or it's not
suitable for running FreeBSD from.

> > Basically, I think the answer is not to use a nwfs or smbfs filesystem as
> > your TMPDIR :-)
>
> mktemp() makes temp files in any directory including current one.

Yes, but in practice it's not used that way since you can't write to most
directories on the system except ~ and /tmp and relatives.

Kris