Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:31:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Steve Sizemore <steve@cmpharm.ucsf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiboot linux + freebsd on two drives

On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Steve Sizemore wrote:

> Simple version of my question: "How can I make my second disk,
> containg FreeBSD, bootable?"

Like you mentioned, BootEasy will do this for you.  In order for this
to work, BootEasy needs to be in the MBR of all disks you want to boot
from.

> There seem to be two alternatives suggested for multibooting linux
> and FreeBSD, in the available documentation.  First, install
> BootEasy, which is what sysinstall did for me. However, in order
> to boot linux, lilo has to be installed in the boot slice
> (partition) rather than the mbr. Makes sense, but there's no
> mention of how to do that.

In lilo.conf, change:

 boot=/dev/sda
	- to -
 boot=/dev/sdaX

where X is the partition number of your linux partition, and then
rerun the lilo command.  Then install BootEasy on the MBR of both your
disks (the easiest way is with sysinstall.)

That should do it.

-Paul.