Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 11:19:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@inpharmatica.co.uk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to make *real* random bits.

On Tue, 1 Aug 2000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> There are many ways to get random bits, this was just meant as an
> example that it doesn't have to be hard or even difficult to use
> FreeBSD for "special tasks".
>
> I'm pretty sure that "noise-diodes" are probably the most efficient
> way to generate random bits, but it doesn't measure up to a geiger-
> counter when it comes to "geek value" :-)

Indeed, Poul's idea has massive geek potential.

However, for the geek impaired, there is always the 82802 Random
Number Generator which is included on newer Intel chipsets.  It may
not be the holy grail of randomness, but nearly every PC will have
one, and I think it'd be good if FreeBSD could at least use it to
gather entropy.

But, if you are gathering a geek lobby to convince Intel to have an
onboard geiger counter, you just might have a new member ;-)

-Paul.