Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:32:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        gibbs@freebsd.org, steve@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFC of ahc driver updates

I've recently been struggling with problems in r1.41.2.1 of
src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.c which is currently in RELENG_4 and has
been since the branch.  This revision of the file is equivalent to r1.42
in HEAD.  The revision in RELENG_4 incorrectly handles SCBs on some
Adaptec 7892-based (29160) controllers.  In particular those with this
chip built into their Supermicro 370DL3 motherboards have experienced
this problem.  Discussion of this problem and the panic's it generates
even at install time have occured several different times on the
freebsd-scsi mailing list and most were resovled with "we know it's
broken, we bought a different controller."  I have experienced these
problems firsthand and was able to solve them by installing a -current
snap containing r1.47 of aic7xxx.c  This system is incredibly stable and
I've been pounding it with bonnie and rawio over the past week and seen
not a single SCSI error or panic.  I believe this is due to the rewrite
of the SCB handling in the ahc driver that has occured since the branch.
I'd very much like to see this newer revision of aic7xxx.c and the
associated changes in src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/ MFCed in time for Jordan's
4.1.1 intermediate release.  It would give those of us with these
controllers an easy way to install on these machines.  I would much
rather see this happen than have to work up my own install patchset.
There are a number of benefits the new driver offers all users of ahc.
For starters, Ultra160 transfers are supported in later revisions.
Should we keep our stable users from being able to operate at Ultra160
speeds?  I have drawn up a patchset which applies cleanly to stock 4.1
sources and I would be happy to email a copy to anyone who contacts me.
It's ~340k so I opted not to send it to -stable.  It can easily be
recreated with:

% cvs rdiff -u -r RELENG_4 -D "Tue Jul 25 20:40:34 2000 UTC" src/sys/dev/aic7xxx/

I would appreciate assistance in getting this MFC made before the
intermediate release is rolled.

Thanks in advance,

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying