Date:      Thu, 21 Sep 2000 01:25:09 +1100 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, "Matthew N. Dodd" <mdodd@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_bus.c

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Matthew Jacob wrote:

> It's more a matter of what should a standalone executive program assume about
> an environment. In my opinion, it's safer to not assume bss clearing by your
> loader.

IMO, the kernel shouldn't assume anything about the environment except
whatever is needed to bootstrap (the pc initialized to put to boot
code in the kernel, and the stack initialized or interrupts disabled).
The loader shouldn't know anything about executable formats.  It should
loader should copy a file from the disk and jump to the appropriate entry
point.

> > > I'll second this.
> >
> > Well, on the x86 we clear it twice, once in loader and once in locore.  I
> > thought it was redundant on the x86 since I thought the new boot2 cleared
> > the extended ELF segment sizes.  We do not support a.out kernels anymore
> > so the old bootblocks are not an issue.  (the old gas-1.9x cannot assemble
> > the .s files).

I use the old bootblocks + elf support from boot2.

Bruce