Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:57:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org, gibbs@freebsd.org
Subject:   More ahc woes.

I'm really sorry to have to come to you with another bug report, Justin,
I know you're probably sick of hearing from me by now.  That machine
with the Supermicro 370DL3 is broken under 4.1.1-RELEASE and the drivers
you committed just before the release.  The install disks panic on boot
with the following:

ahc0: <Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port 0xe400-0xe4ff mem
0xfebfe000-0xfebfefff irq 15 at device 1.0 on pci1

fault virtual address	= 0x1c
fault code				= supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer		= 0x8:0xc02b5fe4
stack pointer			= 0x10:0xc0659e58
frame pointer			= 0x10:0xc0659e58
code segment			= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
						= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags		= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process			= 0 (swapper)
interrupt mask			= net tty bio cam
trap number				= 12
panic: page fault
Uptime: 0s

Attached is the boot -v from a machine running:
FreeBSD 5.0-20000827-CURRENT #0: Sun Aug 27 12:36:38 GMT 2000
root@usw2.freebsd.org:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

This machine runs perfectly with the code from this revision of current.
I suspect one of the changes made to accomodate the older controllers
broke the support for this board.  Let me know what other debug
information I can get you.  I thought perhaps it would help to compile a
debug kernel on one of my working 4.x boxes, copy to the -current root
and boot it, allowing debug information to spew to the -current system's
filesystem.  I needn't worry about the world/kernel mismatch since I'll
never get as far as init anyway.

If it would help we are willing to box up the motherboard and ship it to
you.  However, let's try a little remote debugging before we resort to
that.  Thanks for your diligence, Justin, and let me know what else I
can do.

Brandon D. Valentine
Systems Administrator
Vanderbilt University, Center for Structural Biology
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying