Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:09:43 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Stopping a core dump in progress?

Is there any way of stopping a core dump in progress?

While usually I do want to examine core dumps, I had a process going nuts
and consuming 500+ MB of virtual memory on a box with 256 MB.  Writing the
core dump over NFS took incredibly long (state nfsaio most of the time).

I tried removing the growing core file and sending the crashing process
signals 15 and 9, but nothing worked.

So, short of disabling core dumps or limiting the coredumpsize, is there
a way to address this on a case by case base, by manually stopping the
core dump?

Gerald