Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2000 13:23:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@IPAustralia.Gov.AU>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.oRG
Subject:   ReadLine support in Perl (perl -de 1, cpan shell etc) broken in 4.1-RELEASE ?

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to ask, please would you provide me some suggestions about
dealing with a vexing problme with Perl on two new 4.1-RELEASE
installations ?

The problem is that when Bundle::CPAN (1.57) is installed to get
history and line editing (very useful in the debugger, where I spend a
lot of time.), it doesn't work.

When I press the uparrow key I hear a bleep and the previous
lines input doesn't appear opposite the current debugger prompt eg
this does *not* happen on the problem machines.

 DB<3> $x =  "ReadLine fine here"

 DB<4> $x =  "ReadLine fine here"	# after pressing Up Arrow on a
					# 4.1-R box that was upgraded
					# with sysinstall.

The problem occurs

- under X and on a console
- is not affected by changing the term type

It does not happen on boxes that have been upgraded to 4.1-R with
sysinstall.

The commnand history and editing functions in the shell (/bin/csh) work
fine.

This may be a Perl problem rather than a FreeBSD problem; your telling
me how to distinguish them would be helpful.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.