Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 23:27:29 +0200 (EET)
From:      Domas Mituzas <midom@delfi.lt>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   PicoBSD: tailoring with axe

Hi,

in PicoBSD commit messages I found some truth mentioned - the images need
a lot of tailoring with axe ;-)

First of all, more was better. Less is big. More is small. Therefore, it
would be great to add more (maybe taylored or tinyfied) to tinyware
tree. Of course it's possible to import minix more, by obtaining even more
free space.

Moreover, I find pwd.db mechanism not usefull in PicoBSD environment, so
plaintext authorisation would increase available space for about 80kb just
by eliminating need of 40kbyte size databases (also it would reduce
requirement of such utils as pwd_mkdb and passwd).

Also the whole code of FreeBSD should have #ifdef checks for NOIPX,
NOIPSEC, NOIPV6 etc, so it could be possible to decrease the size of
floppy on a cost of unnecessary functionality.

With respect,
Domas Mituzas
Systems administrator
DELFI, UAB