Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 13:36:02 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
To:        "Richard A. Steenbergen" <ras@e-gerbil.net>
Cc:        Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@technokratis.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, green@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ratelimint Enhancement patch (Please Review One Last Time!)

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Richard A. Steenbergen wrote:

> I would be extremely careful with those descriptions... When you tell
> people directly that something is an attack, even if its not, there are
> enough who will jump to immediate conclusions and begin making false
> accusations. While it may be highly likely that the reasons for those rate
> limits is some kind of attack, it is not guaranteed, and I would be very
> reluctant to so blatantly tell people that it is...
>
> Personally I'd recommend straight forward descriptions like "RST due to no
> listening socket".

Well, as no IPs are listed, I'm not too concerned about libelous attack
accusations resulting from the messages.  However, I'm not opposed to
changing the messages, as long as the distinction between the cases is
clear.  Do you have exact replacements for each case along the line of
what you're thinking of?  (Making it fit into 80 characters is the tough
part.)

> I also see no compelling reason to put ICMP Timestamp
> in a seperate queue, but what I would recommend is seperate queues for
> ICMP messages which would be defined as "query/response" and those which
> would be called "error" messages. If someone needs more specific
> protection they can use dummynet.

Well, I should make a clarification here.  My use of the word queue is
wrong.  All the rate limiting does is count packets per second and drop
those above the allowed amount.  Hence, there's no significant overhead
to having counters for each seperate type.

The main reason tstamp is distinct from echo is so that they can be
reported correctly.  Given that they are distinctly different packets, I
think this makes sense.  (And has less overhead than dummynet would.)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack