Date:      Sat, 13 Jan 2001 10:50:46 +0100 (CET)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        Dirk Meyer <dirk.meyer@dinoex.sub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sendmail queue

On Fri, 12 Jan 2001, Dirk Meyer wrote:

> Ryan Masse wrote:
>
> > Could anyone provide some info with regards to setting up a secondary mail
> > server? having the mail get queued in the secondary mail server when the PMS
> > is down then send all the mail back to the PMS when back up?
>
> 1) The easy way:
> configure Sendmail to accept mail for this host/domain:
> simply add in /etc/mail/mailertable:
>
> primary.do.main		smpt:[hostname of primary mail-server]
>
> After rebuild of mailertable.db the server will accept mail
> for this domain and deliver it towards the primary server.
> Please keep the Hostname or IP in square brackets,
> to avoid any DNS-lookup.

This is not needed. sendmail will look at the mx-records, and will send to
the primary mailserver when it becomes available.

You could put
primary.do.main		dsmtp:[hostname of primary mail-server]
Then sendmail wouldn't try delivering until the primary mailserver sent an
ETRN to this server.

It is however nessecary to tell sendmail to accept relaying to that
domain, otherwise it will be rejected with "we do not relay".

The domain-name needs to be in /etc/mail/relay-domains (In the new
sendmail-configfile-naming-scheme)

Leif