Date:      Sun, 11 Feb 2001 00:13:24 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sans-Swap VM Subsystem Questions

I asked this (phrased differently) over in -hackers as I thought the
people who would know were likely among that crowd.  I didn't get a
response, and in retrospect, it's probably better asked here anyways.

I'm currently working on a system with a rather large flash disk, Limited
RAM, and absolutely no swap.

Some background first:

The FreeBSD VM subsystem in it's "normal" state understands that if it
loads a program off of disk and then gets tight on memory that it can free
the memory consumed by the non-changed code of the program without
swapping to disk as it knows that it can just re-load it from the disk
where it found it.

In my system, since I don't have swap, and limited memory, I would like to
ensure that the above described piece of the VM subsystem continues to
work.  That way, it can effectively "run from flash" if necessary.
However, as memory is (always) tight in this environment, I would
also like to remove the SWAPPING code (as opposed to the "free" code
described above) from the kernel.

So, my question was what, if anything, does "options NO_SWAPPING" (or
whatever the exact option is) do in regards to the vm "free" chunk of
code?

I'd also like to hear people's experience with running with and without
the two swap-related kernel variables turned on without swap.  I realize
that the general consensus is to "enable" both delay and disable swap
pagesouts.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE