Date:      Thu, 1 Mar 2001 19:15:52 -0600 (CST)
From:      Brennan Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: picobsd and alternatives

What is the union filesystem?  I have never heard of it.  Can you point me
to a site to read more about it?

I also browsed the archives and contacted two people who had interest in
creating a CD version...  If I am able to figure a way to simply burn a
working copy of FreeBSD from disk to CD and make it bootable I will do
that.  First I suppose I could make it work with simply a hard-drive and a
floppy holding all config files.  The filesystem can be set to read only
on the disk drive to simulate a CD.

And I could simulate my own NetInfo database by simply hosting config
files on a website (perhaps password protected and ssl) where it simply
pulls down a config file and sources it.  The hard-drive could be
defaulted to contact a given set of servers, like DNS can look to the root
servers while the floppy can provide the primary config server
hostname.  The remote website could do access control based on remote IP
and forward the request if necessary.  Easy for me since I do web stuff
all the time.

Now to gather enough time to play...

Brennan Stehling - software developer and system administrator
  my projects:
       home.offwhite.net (free personal hosting)
       www.greasydaemon.com (bsd search)