Date:      Wed, 7 Mar 2001 18:50:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Wade <mwade@cdc.net>
To:        Gunther Schadow <gunther@aurora.regenstrief.org>
Cc:        PicoBSD List <freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Hardware??

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Gunther Schadow wrote:

> Hi, I have set up my own customized PicoBSD VPN routers with all the
> bells and whistles that I need. What I am having problems with is the
> hardware side. I am desperately waiting for someone to deliver boards
> that he had announced late last year, but there seem to be problems.
> Meanwhile my project comes up to deadlines and I have a hard time
> waiting. I need a small size low power (simple wall AC adapter) box
> that essentially contains 2 (better 3) ethernet interfaces and a
> sio for console, I don't want any of this video and keyboard and
> sound gimmick that I can't use, that only drives up the price and
> power consumption. I cannot find anything like it in the whole world
> so it seems. You're happy to have one built-in ethernet, one vendor
> left with two, and complete loss with three. The other problem, nowhere
> can you opt in for ethernet *and* opt out of VGA.
>
> Does anyone know anything better? I would especially appreciate to
> be directed to a specific product, I know that there are certain
> vendors and web sites that come close, but having looked at all this
> I cannot find anything that really fits.
>
> I appreciate any help.

I'm also looking for similar hardware.  I've prototyped a product I've
designed using the FreeBSD kernel and development tools on the NC series
of NetPCs from "http://www.flytech.com.tw/".  Now I'm ready to move on but
I'm still without low cost embedded x86 boards with 2-3 10/100bT ports +
flash.

---
Mike Wade (mwade@cdc.net)
Chief Technical Officer