Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:41:47 +0100 (CET)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Proposal to mergemaster

Hi,

After 100erts of mergemaster sessions, I'm looking for a way to improve
mergemaster.

1st thing, mergemaster displays per default all in changed files. That's
ok for the first time, but if you maintain many hosts, this is annoying a
lot.

There should be an options to display all changed files anyway, so you
can watch what has changed. (but off by default)

So I have ideas to improve merge-master:

1. Add md5 checksum to the the file-header:

Add an md5 checksum in the header of the File, maybe in $FreeBSD$ when
the file get's comitted. (The $FreeBSD$ line should be sed'd/grepp'd out
to md5 the raw file without checksum.)

grep -v "$FreeBSD:" defaults/rc.conf | md5

Example:

# $FreeBSD: src/etc/defaults/rc.conf,v 1.53.2.15 2001/01/28
20:57:35 jdp Exp md5="1fff7b9d6f6daa0ea9635873bfd0b7cd" $

Then mergemaster can do a md5 over the config file and look
if the file has changed. If so, you get asked to merge or
install a newer version. If the md5 checksum is the same,
the config file get's updated without asking the user.

2. Have a special database with md5 checksums

The advantage here is that we can use this for binarys also, and
this allows us to have binary updates for, let's say, security
fixes. For old unsupported releases that's a very good thing.

The database stores all md5 checksums for every version of a configfile
we had (for this branch so it dosn't get to big ?)

The database could also be very useful for later usage in the ports-
tree (handle make update)

Other ideas are welcome
Martin

Martin Blapp, mb@imp.ch