Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2001 13:33:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        mjacob@feral.com, Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel driver doc's Take 2.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, Luigi Rizzo wrote:

> I have read the thread for a while, and i wonder:
>
> why in the world someone should go through the effort and
> responsibility of SIGNING THE NDA _and_ negotiating with Intel
> for getting permissions to redistribute the code ?

<sleep deprived venting>

	I made the effort to try and work things out for users like
dennis. Who constantly have problems with Intel changing their PHY's, and
our driver not getting updated. Because Intel wont give doc's out without
an NDA. Now that should tell people like dennis, that our developers are
*not interested* in writing binary only drivers, and/or signing NDA's.
And I agree if a company needs the support let them sign the NDA and have
the thing done in-house. I made the effort as im usre many others here
have to beat Intel with a clue bat. They simply are not interested in
playing nice. And AFAIC we can drop Intel support right now and whack the
driver from the tree. I could care less about Intel CPU's or NIC HW. I
have choices. And there are far better choices then Intel.

	Not that dropping the driver will happen. But my guess is the
driver will eventually just suffer from so much bit rot that it will get
yanked. I can be just as fascist as Intel. I could say we should just make
a statement and rip the driver now. Make a nice article on daemon news
and/or slashdot co-authored by the Linux Intel nic maintainer and just
publicaly say both OS's are dropping support for Intel until such time as
Intel does away with NDA's on their HW. The people who develop for
FreeBSD, and I'm sure Linux as well, as you noted do not have the time to
screw around with legal dept's in companies. They have work to do, and
code to write. I, among many im sure, made the effort to get Intel to get
a friggin clue. And as others have said before it's a practice in
futility. So I made the effort. Intel is aware of what crack heads their
being. End of story. Sorry dennis but if I were you I would start using
other brands of NIC's.

</sleep deprived venting>

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"