Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 23:13:20 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: {kbd,vid}control insanity patch

On Tue, 29 May 2001, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
> > Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org> writes:
> > > Are keymaps vty-specific?
> >
> > No, they're global.
>
> Okay, then that leaves -f, -F, -b, and -r in kbdcontrol.  The patch
> attached below moves those to vidcontrol as -F, -G, -B, and -R,
> respectively.  If this ends up getting committed I'll gladly nuke
> allscreens_kbdflags.

Not OK.  The "vid" in vidcontrol means "video", not "vty".  The keyboard
functions were intentionally split off from the video functions when
vidcontrol(1) and kbdcontrol(1) were spawned from syscons(1).  Everything
may belong in syscons(1) again, but the interfaces should not be
gratuitously different from those in the utilities for other console
drivers.  pcvt already has enough gratuitous differences in its scon(1)
and kcon(1) utilities.

Bruce