Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:38:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Mike Holling <myke@ees.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>, Blaz Zupan <blaz@si.FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: poor performance with FreeBSD and Windows ICS

>     Try increasing the TCP buffer sizes.  That's the net.inet.tcp.sendspace
>     and net.inet.tcp.recvspace sysctl's.  Satellite links have huge
>     latencies and can easily fill the 16K default tcp stream buffer size.
>     Try bumping them up to 60000 and if that works you can try going even
>     larger... e.g. 262144.  Try 60000 first, if that works well stick with
>     it because values >= 65536 require tcp window sizing to be supported
>     and not all platforms implement it properly.

Upping sendspace and recvspace fixed the problem, I was able to get a file
at 67Kbyte/sec which only came down at 25 before changing the values.
65535 seems to be a good value for both parameters.  Enabling RFC 1323
extensions had a bad effect, after enabling extensions all my transfers
would hang.  Is there a place to put this in the FAQ?

- Mike