Date:      Wed, 29 Aug 2001 07:56:27 -0600 (MDT)
From:      ZWH <zwade@micro-mania.net>
To:        Manfred Usselmann <usselmann.m@icg-online.de>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Distribution Question (Was: Would like comments...)

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Manfred Usselmann wrote:

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:19:11 -0700 (PDT) "Rick Hamell"
<hamellr@heorot.1nova.com> wrote:

> > Why is Java support on the BSDs so behind.  I'm just curious as to
why I
> > have to load up a Linux package to use some of the newer features
within
> > the language.  If this were more up to date, I would not have to
dual
> > boot my machine!

/* Just my opinion mind you, JAVA SUCKS; and anyone who depend upon JAVA
to do their background work in I-net is just using a crude tool where
assiduous application of creative insight could and would be better */

> 	Because nobody has determined it to be important enough to make it
> native. You can use all the Linux programs you need under
> "emulation," BTW... so why fix something that isn't directly related
> FreeBSD being a SERVER OS?

/* See above.  JAVA was someone's wet dream ions ago.  It's time for a new
tool! */

I am not sure if FreeBSD should really be regarded as a pure server os.
I don't think so.

/* Silly */

But anyway, Java is even more important on the server side than on a
workstation.

/* JAVA is slow, sloppy, and a major security risk.  End of story. */

 The industrie standard for application server is J2EE (Java
2 Enterprise Edition).

/* Says who?  Where is this "Standard" written?  By whose standards? */

Just to name a few: Bea WebLogic, IBM Websphere,
Borland AppServer, ATG Dynamo, Sun/Netscape IPlanet, JBoss, Orion,
Allaire JRun etc.
If you don't want to use Microsofts ASP / .NET solutions you need Java
on the server for the competing technologies around Servlets, JSP's and
EJB's...

/* Need and Want are two different things!  Just because JoeBlow down the
street uses a chain saw to do wood carvings, does that mean that I need
disregard my set of wood carving tools?  Sure the chain saw is available at
the store, and sure the chain saw is JoeBlow's standard tool of choice, and
sure JoeBlow makes $$$ hand over fist with his chain saw.  Think, JAVA is
doomed for fading obscurity in years to come.  Be original.  Take another
look at the wood carving tools in the back corner of your closet. */

Regards,
ZWH

Manfred

- --