Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:24:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Laptop, 4 MB Ram, Mitac 4023

Hi, I managed to install FreeBSD on this machine, first the minimal set
from the dos partition and then the rest, with swap, via PLIP.
Not so bad. Lynx is ok. Pine is a little bit old, no arrow key navigation,
no chance to run a browser (lynx) from URLs in mails. PPP is to old for me
to undwerstand the manpages, neither new sources for PPP nor Pine did
compile sofar. Now I have two problems: How could I upgrade with those 4
MB ? Still have the 3.0 CD around. Maybe they support my D-Link
PCMCIA card. And the PS/" trackball, moused would be fine.

The second problem, not related to upgrade (or should I try Linux ? ;-)
is X11R6 on this beast. I have absolutely no idea what to enter into
/etc/XF86config. It is a LCD monitor, the way those monitors were in those
486dx times. Monocrome, some kind of gray, dont know and dont know where
to look for. Think the Video memory is 64 K...

I know, it wouldnt be very fast, but for occasional fun, images etc, maybe
even Netscape 3.0 runs on it..

The positiv side of the machine is a "big" HD, 328 MB...

No accu etc, but I like it.

H.