Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 15:55:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   IBSS creation - summary

I have now successfully gotten IBSS creation under `wicontrol` to work in
4.4-RELEASE (using the -c 1 command line switch).

This is my procedure:

- configure interface wi0 with an address (through rc.conf or ifconfig)
- wicontrol -c 1 -p 1 -n netname -q netname -s computername

Note: the above `wicontrol` parameters cannot all be configured in one
command line - instead, do:

	wicontrol -c 1
	wicontrol -p 1
	wicontrol -n netname
	wicontrol -q netname
	wicontrol -s computername

Then, on the other computer:

- configure interface with ifconfig
- set the netname.  In FreeBSD, use `wicontrol -n netname`, in Linux, use
`iwconfig eth0 essid netname` (where eth0 is the devicename of your
wireless adaptor on that system)

Caveat:

I did all this previously, but never thought things were working - the
reason is, after you do all this, wicontrol in FreeBSD will show zero
signal, and iwconfig in Linux will show zero signal.  Further, `ifconfig`
output in FreeBSD will report "No Carrier".  Therefore, I thought I had
failed.  In reality, it _is_ working - just make sure your interfaces are
configured with IP and netmask the way you think they should be and
attempt to make connection.  It will work.

You will also have an indication that it is working based on rapid
flashing of the activity light on the Lucent/Agere/Orinico/(insert OEM'd
version of that card here).

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com