Date:      Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:22:57 +0100 (CET)
From:      Krzysztof Zaraska <kzaraska@student.uci.agh.edu.pl>
To:        Bart Matthaei <bart@dreamflow.nl>
Cc:        Dave Raven <dave@raven.za.net>, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best security topology for FreeBSD

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Bart Matthaei wrote:

> > With IPFilter this is not so, IPNat runs in the kernel and should be faster.
> > If you are planning on large usage I would recommend IPFilter (less load)
> > and IPNat.
>
> I still dont see why ipf would be better when it comes to filtering.
This issue (at least in one aspect) has been discussed on this list around
Oct 30 (thread about keep-state and ICMP). The discussion strayed from the
original topic and someone pointed out that ipfilter does a more careful
inspection when dealing with dynamic rules (checks TCP sequence numbers
etc.).

Regards,
Krzysztof