Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 12:11:55 -0400 (CLT)
From:      Roberto de Iriarte <roberto@spock.cl>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8ystein_Andreassen?= <oystein.andreassen@systec.no>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with MyLex KZPAC PCI RAID controller

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, [iso-8859-1] =D8ystein Andreassen wrote:

>=20
> Hello,
>=20
> I have tried to install FreeBSD 4.5 (Release(?)) on a Digital Server 5000
> Model 5303 6533A.
> It has a MyLex KZPAC PCI RAID Controller. I manage to boot the CD and
> everything seems fine until the file copying starts.
> When the copying is around 23% of / it comes to a complete halt and i get
> ALOT of errors like
> "mlx0: I/O error - attempt to write beyond end of drive"
> I've read the mailinglists and found that this was a problem in 4.3 (i386=
)
> (mailinglist "current", may 2001).
> So I tried to put the MyLex controller in an i386 machine. I still had th=
> disks in the alpha. This worked fine!
>=20
> I guess my question is: Why isn't the alpha driver updated while the i386
> driver is? (I really hope that someone just forgot and it's VERY simple t=
> fix!:)
>=20
>=20
>=20
> =D8ystein
>=20
> with "unsubscribe freebsd-alpha" in the body of the message
>=20

I have an alphaserver 2100A with a very similar controller. Getting
it to work was a headache, mostly for firmware problems.

The firmware of the DEC oem controllers was not updated as frequently
as the one on PC's, as a matter of fact, i could never get the upgrade
programm (ARC based) to work.

I would=20

a) Check that the firmware is the latest supported revision for the
controller. The upgrade needs to be done on a PC.

2.73-0-00 is the minimun for FreeBSD.

3.X is much better, i.e it allows to use the mlxtools, but you need
a controller with two EEPROMS to be able to install it!=20

b) Check that the Dallas NVRAM is OK, if the controller has been sitting
idle for a long time, i would replace it just for good measure

c) Erase all the array config and rebuild from scratch using the latest
utilities ON THE ALPHA!.

What is the actual config on your machine (Firmware revision, Disk make
and size, Raid config, strip size)

Get me some more info and i'll try to provide a detailed procedure for
you.

Regards
Roberto de I
roberto@spock.cl