Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 09:42:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Edelman <aedelman@undef.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (hardware?) trouble with make buildworld on 4.5

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I can add more data: I have already tried
swapping out the RAM with some from a different box, and it didn't seem to
make a difference.  I also tried swapping out the hard drive.  So if it is
hardware, I think the only things left are motherboard and CPU.  Do any of
the kernel gurus on this list think it is a problem that my CPU is coming
up as "unknown" at bootup time?  Original dmesg snippets below.  Could it
explain the compile errors during make buildworld?

Jason, your theory about my supping at an inopportune moment is
interesting.  I have actually supped at least 10 times over the last week,
back before I suspected hardware troubles.  Each time I got a compile
error in a different point of make buildworld.  What are the odds that I
am unlucky and each time have supped at a wrong moment?  My friend who
upgraded to 4.5-STABLE a few nights ago didn't have these problems, and he
was using the same supserver (cvsup7.freebsd.org.)

Still looking for answers.  Thanks again, everybody.

	alex

--
Alex Edelman
aedelman@undef.com

On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Alex Edelman wrote:
>
> > My current theory on the failure places blame on the CPU; I think, it is
> > either busted (I broke it) or it is not supported by FreeBSD.  The
> > hardware is a Shuttle SV24 (those cute mini-systems everybody raves about)
> > and the CPU is a Via C3 866 (Ezra core or later.)  I have a friend who has
> > the same system and a slightly older/slower Via C3 (Samuel core).  He
> > upgraded to 4.5-STABLE last night without any problems.

[snip]