Date:      Fri, 16 Aug 2002 08:21:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Raistrick <drais@wow.atlasta.net>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   cvsup, correct tags?

Hey folks.

I've been wondering this for a while and cant seem to find it clearly
documented anywhere....This morning it's causing me a minor amount of
trouble, so it's time to ask.

What is the correct CVS tag to use and when?

For example, this morning I can cvsup to RELENG_4_6 and get the
4.6.2-RELEASE UPDATING (at least, it contains the release point entry:
20020814:
        FreeBSD 4.6.2-RELEASE.

If i cvsup to the RELENG_4_6_2 tag, it wipes the src tree completely.

If I get RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE, the new UPDATING lacks the 4.6.2-RELEASE
release point..the last entry is:

20020813:       p11
        Bounds checking errors in accept(), getsockname(),

These were all cvsupd from a local cvsup server that updates from:

host="cvsup.freebsd.org"
host="cvsup1.freebsd.org"
host="cvsup2.freebsd.org"
host="cvsup3.freebsd.org"
host="cvsup5.freebsd.org"

each hour.

Last night we also cvsupd to RELENG_4_6_2_RELEASE from cvsup.freebsd.org
and UPDATING contained only the p11 point still.

Could someone point me to some documentation that covers these tags so I
can get a better idea on what is used for what?

thanks,

..d.avid

---
david raistrick