Date:      Fri, 6 Sep 2002 17:17:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: interrupting the remote kernel

On Fri, 6 Sep 2002, Hanspeter Roth wrote:
>   On Sep 06 at 12:11, Julian Elischer spoke:
>
> > hit CTL_ALT_ESC on it's keyboard...
>
> Doing this on the remote host (running gdb) tells me `No debugger in
> kernel'.
> Doing this on the target host passes control to the remote gdb.

Like it should.  Julian's suggestions were both for the target host.

> But I want to pass control to the remote debugger by issuing
> the interrupt command on the _remote_ host (in gdb).

You can do this by connecting a second serial cable for a console between
your host and target or by using the remotechat option and a single cable.
Once you have the serial console, option ALT_BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER allows you
to initiate a break using your terminal emulator's "send break" command.

> But I want to be able to pass control to the debugger when the
> target kernel `hangs', that is when no `ctl-alt-f1', `ctl-alt-del'
> has any effect.

If the hang is not a system hang, the console break will have an effect.
But if the kernel is so hung that the keyboard doesn't work, the remote
serial console will not do you any better.  In this case you need a box
with a real console (i.e. Sun).

-Nate