Date:      Sat, 12 Oct 2002 12:05:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Hiten Pandya <hiten@angelica.unixdaemons.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Jeff Roberson <jroberson@chesapeake.net>, Jeff Roberson <jeff@FreeBSD.ORG>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scheduler patch, ready for commit.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 01:18:44AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote the words in effect of:
> > > Yes, I agree, this is an important next step.  I'm thinking that the
> > > scheduler should indicate how much space is needed to the proc allocation
> > > code.  This much extra space could be allocated, and a pointer to
> > > scheduler specific data could really be a pointer within that allocated
> > > structure.  This way it might be near enough for processor caches to be
> > > effective.  Clearly this needs more work.  That is outside of the scope of
> > > the current patch though.

If done on the fly, this would require freeing all the allocated procs
in the uma cache and changing the size of the zone, and re-filling it,
and replacing all the existing procs with the new larger ones.. hardly a
likely scenario.
Pretty obviously the additional storage is in the form of an extra blobb
hanging off the proc/kse/ksegrp/thread structures as needed. (Unless the
scheduler can make use of a couple of void * 'p_sched_private' type
fields we can preallocate.