Date:      Sat, 2 Nov 2002 23:15:43 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Pawel Tyll <ofca@ofca.pl>
Cc:        brian@awfulhak.org, net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PPPoEd Bug.

On Sun, 3 Nov 2002, Pawel Tyll wrote:

> Hi Brian,
>
> Today, after few hours of fighting with FreeBSD, I found one nasty bug in
> your PPPoEd implementation. It all started with accidental patching of
> RASPPPoE windows PPPoE client (http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/).
>
> There is a patch for RASPPPoE, which allows it to connect to non-RFC
> compliant PPPoE servers, like 3Com modems. PPPoEd supports such clients,
> however - after processing request from such client, it doesn't talk to
> normal RFC-compliant clients anymore :(

The code for doing non complient pppoe was written to be used as a
client. I'm amazed it works as a server too.. (and I wrote it).

Am I right in understanding that you accidentally had a non-compliant
client, and therefore discoverd that FreeBSD as a server could cope with
that, but that once it did, it couldn't go back?

> - it looks like a quite nice DoS
> attack possibility for me, ISP, lots of RFC-compliant users, and one
> kiddie with patched RASPPPoE...Patched clients can connect without
> problems, PPPoE receives requests from normal clients, however it
> (probably - didn't check it) answers them with modified ether-type,
> which makes it impossible for them to 'hear' the answer. Hope you can
> come up with a fix soon :)

I'll have a look.