Date:      Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:40:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vmware and turbotax

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Mark Santcroos wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 12:04:08PM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> > Yeah mine ran the last few years as well,
> > just not the new one..
> >
> > stops immediatly with some error (I forget.. something descriptive like:
>
> I don't know the program, but do you need a license or an activator for
> it? (My question is: is it copy protection or something else?)
> It could check for some things; cpuid, mac address, that sort of stuff.

yes it has an activator and I thinkit is doing something like that.
However it would be interesting what cpuid-type instruction vmware
doesn't do, considering that win98 works and IT has
similar activation.

> What was that windows debugger called? WinIce or something like that?
> You could give it a try to run it in there to find out what it is doing.

possibly but at present I have it running on
the raw hardware and I'll just buy the competition next year.