Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:41:41 +1030 (CST)
From:      Justin Hawkins <justin@tardis.mx.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Serial boot prompt messages and a modem

Hi there,

I've recently had .. ahem .. fun trying to get my headless FreeBSD box to
spit messages at the console. I've got the kernel doing it right, but not
the boot loaders. The boot loader will print to the serial device - but it
won't load my kernel :-( I haven't exhausted all oppurtunities here yet -
this isn't a cry for help on that.

The reason I need to play around with the boot loaders is that I need the
serial console on COM2. I have a modem on COM1. Before you ask, I can't
swap them over easily, I'd need to swap the connectors internally or buy
some 9-25 adaptors. But I digress.

I think (I am not positive on this) that if the boot loader talks to a
modem in command mode with echo on, it gets confused and won't boot any
further. Is this a known problem?

Is there enough room in there for some code, which checks for this? IE if
the first line output to the serial device == the first input (some
version string probably) then it just ignores it and does the default
action?

Sorry about the vagueness - I didn't have time to test this or gain any
real empirical evidence - I needed to get the machine back in action ASAP.

Please CC any replies - I'm not on this list.

Thanks.

	- Justin