Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 17:46:11 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Sean Jensen-Grey <seanj@speakeasy.org>
Cc:        Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsuping and rebuilding, esp. ports

(comments based on my limited experiences...)

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Sean Jensen-Grey wrote:

>I don't rebuild ports after cvsuping? why? I thought of making a small python
>script to go check /var/db/pkgs or some such and compare the version numbers
>there against what you have in ports for the same package. would be handy.

There is actually a patch to pkg_version which scans all versions
installed and the most recent versions in /ports and builds a script you
cam modify and run to fetch and install any upgrades you would like.  Just
remember to read it first, hand-edit, and pkg_delete the ones you want to
replace first.  I can't remember where it is off hand.

>upgrade in the field problem. aaaahhhhh dll hell with deps.

Not really.  I think it is handled quite elegantly.

>But after you cvsup anything into /usr/src you should do a rebuild of the world.
>Otherwise your environment to actually DO the rebuild will not be correct. I
>already ran into this problem a while back.

I don't think you have to build world after cvsupping.  You can wait as
long as you want until it is convenient.  As long as the port runs under
the stable version of BSD that *you* are running, or you have a newer
version of BSD, you should be fine.