Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:26:01 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        <hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <knu@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gzip and cvsweb.cgi

I've noticed that cvsweb.cgi sometimes gives me GZIP and sometimes not.  I
tracked down a fix for my needs, but would like some feedback please.

The problem arose when FreshPorts old me it couldn't do anything with a
Makefile it had just obtained (via fetch), so I went to look.  What I
found was a garbled Makefile.  Actually, it was GZIP'd, not ASCII.

$ fetch -o Makefile
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/www/mnoGoSearch-current/Makefile?rev=1.3
Receiving Makefile: 0 Kbytes
897 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds  (603.71 Kbytes/s)

$ file Makefile
Makefile: gzip compressed data, deflated, last modified: Tue Jan 30
14:00:38 2001, max speed, os: Unix

So then I started experimenting, and check the web interface.  Then I used
this:

$ fetch -o Makefile
http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/ports/www/mnoGoSearch-current/Makefile?rev=1.3
Receiving Makefile: 1 Kbytes
1799 bytes transferred in 0.0 seconds  (1241.55 Kbytes/s)

$ file Makefile
Makefile: ASCII text

Which is what one would expect.

Why does one give the expected results and the other doesn't?  I expected
both to give the same.

thanks