Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2001 18:49:59 +0100 (CET)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        milunovic <milunovic@sendmail.ru>
Cc:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>, <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: blow fish

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, milunovic wrote:

> Does anybody have blow fish for FreeBSD or know wehere to find it?
> I just want to change password encription from MD5 to blow fish:o)

I think Mark Murray is still sitting on the patch I did for this very
thing.  Check the -hackers mail archives.  It was about 2-3 Months
ago, so it may not even patch cleanly anymore against -CURRENT.

As for why, I can only think of two reasons.  One, the geek factor (it
has an iteration parameter built into the hash to "increase" security
on the fly, it's pretty trick), but mostly two, for people using NIS
between OpenBSD and FreeBSD boxen.

I don't use it (it was just a fun little hacking project), so I
personally don't care if it gets worked into the tree, but this has
got to be the 3rd or 4th time somebody has asked for it.

-Paul.