Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 00:16:37 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.3-BETA

On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> Haikal Saadh <wyldephyre2@yahoo.com> types:

> > > Please search through the mailing list archives
> > > before asking questions.
> > > This has been answered many times over the last two
> > > weeks.

> Or maybe just read the FAQ <URL:
> http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/admin.html#dmin.html#RELEASE-CANDIDATE >,
> which makes it clear that the name changes just identify what point of
> the release cycle that particular snapshot of -STABLE is at.

I have seen several people tell Haikal to read the FAQ, etc....
I really have to agree with him. I don't think having a "Beta" label on
what is defined in the handbook as "Stable" is a good idea.

By definition a "new user" to FreeBSD is someone who doesn't know yet
what are the right places to read/check.

He did mentioned having read something on the Handbook so he is along the
right lines, but if we expect ever single new user to know where to look
then we are not expecting them to be new users.

I think responses like the ones he got are the reason we consistantly over
the years get views of sometimes been unfrienly to new users.

Perhaps a label of "Pre-Release" may be less confusing. "Beta" sure gives
the wrong impression.