Date:      Fri, 1 Jun 2001 10:07:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bernie Doehner <bdoehner@cabletron.com>
To:        Jean-Christophe Varaillon <jcv@vbc.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Expire value

Unless you have an usual setup, I think the reason the entry is aging
out of your arp table (not routing table) is that either one of the machines
or your hub or your cabling have an intermittent connection.

Whenever an entry ages out of your arp table, and if the machines decide to
talk again thereafter, an ARP request will be issued to resolve the MAC address
which will subsequently be cached in your ARP table and aged out over time.

The ARPs apparently aren't making it across..  Something to check, is are
both machines using the listening to the same broadcast address? Are you running
some kind of broadcast suppression on your LAN, any kind of firewall filtering?

Bernie