Date:      Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:41:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Staying *really stable* in FreeBSD

On Fri, 22 Jun 2001, Joe Kelsey wrote:

> I personally think it does not matter how often you cvsup and rebuild.
> Sometimes, I go for months, sometimes I do it daily.  It all depends.

    Indeed.  If there aren't any recent "gotchas" posted to -stable
without "here's the fix, it's already been MFC'd", cvsup away.  If
there *are* gotchas, hold off.  It's not possible to predict, which is
why you must follow the list to avoid being bitten.

> If you have any thoughts of running cvsup at all, you need to have a
> fast connection.  It is definitely not for dialup users.  Maybe that
> should go in the handbook--only do it if you have DSL or cable modem or
> better.

    That's not true.  When I still had only a dialup connection, I'd
fire up cvsup, go to bed, and then start my buildworld in the morning.
It worked just fine.

> My basic point is that it is not possible to "schedule" the activity in
> advance due to the changing nature of the source tree.  You have to
> constantly monitor the mailing list and make your own decision based on
> mailing list traffic.

    Ayup.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)