Date:      Sun, 29 Jul 2001 23:59:09 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Updating RELENG_4_3

On Sat, 28 Jul 2001, ian j hart wrote:

> cd /usr/src;make update (CVS) pulls down RELENG_4 not RELENG_4_3.
> There should at least be a warning in UPDATING. Shouldn't
> this be a variable in make.conf?
>
> <thinks out loud>
> Hmm. The -r would mean BRANCH would have to be a numeric or
> symbolic tag. What if you could do:
> CVSUPDATEFLAGS=	-D "yesterday"
> That would fix updating during a commit. Or maybe not. Must find
> a cvs wizard and ask them if the commit time stamps are atomic.

    It would not, if at this time yesterday, someone was doing a
commit.

    If the suggestion, "leave a small commit-free window around
midnight UTC" is adopted, then you could use -D "00:00:00 UTC" and not
have to worry (although you'd have to translate that to
"[cc]yy.mm.dd.00.00.00" format for cvsup to process it).

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)