Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:19:49 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ALPHA Multia and FreeBSD 4.3-RC

Hello.

I have here a digital Multia (Alpha 21066 at 233 MHz) and I want to
get this box work under FreeBSD 4.3. I installed successfuly
FreeBSD 4.3-RC2 as I got this ISO-Image and booted the Multia
with the apropriate disks.

I have two problems:

First: I have no access to the console! I just see all the output
when booting, after activating 'console' in /etc/ttys I get only
a login prompt, but the keyboard is dead - only the LEDs for CapsLock etc.
are flashing when hiting the apropriate key. All in- output go through
the serial console and that is crap.
Can anybody tell me how to activate the Multia's console?
I read about that the console is not supported, but, excuse this question,
makes it any kind of sense installing an operating system on a Multia
I can not gain access to?

Second: I tried to make a world. Due the fact the machine is really slow
it took a long time from starting the first make  world up to the
point it failed. My Multia reboots spontanously and shows me the console,
awaiting the boot command.
I saw this many times on Intel based systems when CPU reaches its limits due
overheating, overclocking or bad hardware. What's up with the Alpha?
The machine has 88MB memory, that seems to be enough for simple steps
in making a world or similar. The system is attached to a 4GB IBM
SCSI DCAS hdd...

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institut fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinensaal)