Date:      Sun, 6 May 2001 15:35:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jan Conrad <conrad@th.physik.uni-bonn.de>
To:        <freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Write Cacheing on SCSI controllers?

Hi,

I am setting up a new file server right now so I have some time to play
around setting WCE on or off.

To my surprise it did'nt matter that much! Just dd'ing 400MB of zeros to
the disc gives me about 32MB/s, (nearly) no matter how WCE is set.
(29160, IBM DDYS-T18350N) (softupdates on/off does'nt matter that much
either...)

This is in sharp contrast to ATA disks, where the write throughput drops
by a factor of 3 when disabling WC.

Is it possible that the SCSI controller does the write cacheing,
compensating for the drive not doing it?

regards
	Jan

--
Physikalisches Institut der Universitaet Bonn
Nussallee 12