Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:57:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        Doug Barton <DougB@DougBarton.net>, Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>, Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>, Jon Parise <jon@csh.rit.edu>, Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>, <bsddiy@163.net>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Warner Losh wrote:

> With all due respect to Eivind, he's reinventing the wheel.  I'd like
> to see NetBSD's brought in with an absolute minimum of change.

Along those lines, I'm typing on my laptop that is using the scripts that
I have ported over... I've only gotten it up to network initialization.

From diving through it all, there will be a fair amount of departure from
the NetBSD stuff at least up through network init. This is just due to the
inherent differences in the OSs. Where there was departure, I took the
current FreeBSD boot scripts and turned them into modules so as to make it
very similar to the current system.

I've also made some (slight) changes to the boot order. Mostly just
formalizing the lock step nature of things. I did make one change that I
think will be helpful, I moved pccard initialization to before the
mounting of /usr (but after mounting /var). This way people can use pccard
for mounting filesystems from /etc/fstab which I don't think you can do
now. Anyone have any objections to this move? it would require moving
pccardd and pccardc to /sbin, but that should be it. Other than that, I
made the (rash) assumption that /var is local storage, which simplifies
things greatly. That makes it diskless un-friendly, but we've always been
unfriendly to diskless anyway....

I'll see about porting the rest of the scripts to get it as close to a
fully working system as possible, I think it should go rather quickly. I
hope to have patches up tomorrow for people to play with.

-gordon