Date:      Fri, 5 Apr 2002 13:15:14 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andy Farkas <andyf@speednet.com.au>
To:        <Mark.Andrews@isc.org>
Cc:        <hawkeyd@visi.com>, stable at FreeBSD <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: named connections "in vain"

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002 Mark.Andrews@isc.org wrote:

> > Named is replying to itself, not a client, ie. the host at 192.168.16.2
> > made a request to 192.168.16.2 which timed-out.
>
> 	You can have *both* the server and clients on the same box.

Yes. What I really meant to say is "named is replying to a client on the
same host, ie...." - I had meant to come back and amend that sentance on
my original email but forgot...

> > I think it has something to do with the resolver library having a short
> > time-out value and named having a longer one.
>
> 	The resolver timeout is large enough that for 99.99% of queries
> 	where there is not misconfiguration or otherwise broken server
> 	involved in the resolution process it will complete before
> 	the resolver gives up.  Multiple broken servers can cause the
> 	resolution process to exceed the timeouts of the resolver.

So, the main reason why my mailserver spits out these log-in-vain messages
all the time is because of other broken name servers? I thought so...

> > Do you know if in fact there are separate time-out values for the resolver
> > library and named?
>
> 	Yes they are different.

Hmmm... what if you bumbed up the resolvers' time-out value?  Where would
one find this parameter?

ps. if this is too off-topic, let me know...

--

 :{ andyf@speednet.com.au

        Andy Farkas
    System Administrator