Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 1995 21:01:33 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bruce Hearns <gyrfalc@io.org>
To:        FreeBSD-questions@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        pgarigue@io.org
Subject:   Getting started, once the system is running.

I have a copy of FreeBSD 2.0 running on my second Hard drive.
I enjoy toying with it, but I have a problem:

I would like to get this sucker to work, so I can use my
modem. Right now, it boots, I can use it to write programs, I
can explore the UNIX system and learn a lot about UNIX. But I
can't go anywhere with it.

1) How do I get my modem to work? The boot sequence recognizes that there
is a serial IO device on COM2 at the right address, why can't I access it?

2) Why, when I boot the system, do I keep getting errors
related to a network, when I'm using a standalone machine?

3) Am I going to have to write my own terminal program, to get
a SL/IP connection going?

4) I feel as if I have just fallen into an ocean, but don't
know how to swim... Everything I look at seems to be 'hooked
into' everything else. Is there a starting point to unravel
this tangled web of interconnected relationships? I have
looked in the /etc/rc file, which indicates that there is some
information in the /etc/networks file, which refers to ... Argh!

5) I understand about the man pages. Why, for example, is there a man page
for "]", but the command: "man ]" produces a vehement denial
that such a page exists?

6) How do I access my floppy drives? There seems to be tons of devices in
the /dev directory which seem to refer to my floppy drive, why can't I
change to it and read a floppy disk?

"It's thought   |                |:/^^^\:|
  that counts." |     C-A-R-P-E--(-)---(-)---D-I-E-M