Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 15:57:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.1 will require a minimum of 8MB for installation.

On Sat, 30 Sep 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well folks, we've hit that wall we all knew was there and heading for
> us at 120Mph..  The GENERIC kernel has simply gotten too big to fit
> within 4MB now and no amount of paring back will deny a basic fact of
> life:
>
> 	To fit in all the drivers we need to cover a reasonable set
> 	of devices required at installation-time, we need more than
> 	4MB and if we didn't need it today, we'd need it tomorrow.

    Requiring more than 4 megabytes of RAM just to install an
operating system (of any kind) is ridiculous.  I don't care what
Win95 or OS/2 Warp or anyone else requires.  If they need at least 8
megs of RAM to run, then that leaves the whole 4-meg market open to us
and You-Know-How in the alternative UNIX-like OS segment.

    We should be able to at least produce a bootable floppy with the
CD-ROM that does not have any networking drivers and a minimal set of
device drivers.  Then, as I suggested a short while ago, the user can
pick from a set of customized kernels on the CD-ROM to install
permanently on disk.

    Or leave a full kernel on the floppy, but disable all the drivers
and include instructions to the user on re-enabling just the ones that
are needed.  Will that save on memory usage?

    Or how about using the 2.0.5 boot floppy image?  That works on a
4-meg machine, doesn't it?  It shouldn't matter which kernel release
is used for installation.
--
Brian Tao <taob@io.org>
System Administrator, Internex Online Inc.