Date:      Tue, 29 Dec 1998 18:46:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan@quick.net>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NOW/MOSIX/Beowulf

On Tue, 29 Dec 1998, Steve Passe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > On a completely different subject :-)
> >
> > Given FreeBSD-current's performance, and SMP capabilities, has anyone
> > addressed using FreeBSD in a Network-Of-Workstations/MOSIX/Beowulf style
> > baby supercomputer? MOSIX (last time I checked) was BSDI only. Any
> > thoughts? I'm looking at highly scalable email/ldap applications.
>
> checkout:
> http://www.sarnoff.com:8000/docs/metacomputing.html

Will do...

> I've been thinking that modifying our make to be "cluster aware"
> would be a useful project.  Put 2 or 3 dual SMP machines together
> with an NFS mounted /usr/src & /usr/obj and we might aproach 10
> minute buildworlds...

Here's the beef :-)

1) SMP base

2) NOW aware (MOSIX migration under load model is good)

3) The network is king - so Cisco or Beowulf style etherchannel or
gigabit or gigabit etherchannel is good.

4) Network switching fabric - HP and Cisco both support etherchannel -
400 megabits full duplex is a decent backbone :-) 4 gigs in Cisco only
environs but I doubt any PCI card can do much with that :-)

5) Storage - Network Appliances support gig ethernet - and can actually
serve that bandwidth :-)

I'm just a power monger with a commercial application, and a home
overkill desire :-)

Cheers...