Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 00:21:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Michael Dillon <michael@memra.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 128k ISDN vs. T1

On Sat, 24 Aug 1996, Mr. Jason A. Borgmann wrote:

> Hello, I am in the process of starting an ISP in my area.  I was wondering
> if any of you could list the pros/cons of using a T1 over a 128k ISDN
> (besides speed).

If the T1 breaks the telco will fix it fast because T1 is a business data
service. If ISDN breaks the telco will fix when they get around to it,
maybe tomorrow or the next day, because ISDN is just a consumer dialup
service anyway.

>  This intended ISP will probably start very small (less
> than 20 people is what we are figuring) but should be able to grow to over
> 200 accounts.

I write this nice reply above and then I read this!!! GROW you said? to
200 accounts? OK, maybe you can make a go of it with such a small ISP but
I guess there is no way you can afford a T1 so 128K ISDN or Frac T1 Frame
Relay are your only real choices.

Michael Dillon                   -               ISP & Internet Consulting
Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-604-546-3049
http://www.memra.com             -               E-mail: michael@memra.com