Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 23:45:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Domingo Siliceo <dsiliceo@adam.es>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Opinions?

On Tue, 16 Jul 1996, Domingo Siliceo wrote:

> I'm planning to switch one machine from NT to FreeBSD without any
> special reason. What I'd like to know is your opinions. Is it hard to
> configure a mode (US Robotics) under COM1 in order to connect with
> our ISP? How many HD will I need to install XWindow system?

Hooking the modem up should be a breeze if your ISP supports PPP.  All
you'll need to do is confirm the settings for ijppp in /etc/ppp.conf.
Full instructions are in the Handbook.

For X, you should have better than 50 megs free.  A quick du on my system
gives:

gdi,ttyp1,/usr,29>du -sk X11R6
du: X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/authdir: Permission denied
45628   X11R6
^^^^^
1k blocks.

That is with Netscape and other X junk in there.

<soapbox>
I'm still trying to understand why people think they have to run NT.
There are other options, like FreeBSD and OS/2.  A lot cheaper and not
made by Microsoft.
</soapbox>