Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 1996 19:42:48 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        Anil John <ajohn@cyberforge.com>
Cc:        Wes Side Story <wdorale@rs1.mtmc.edu>, "'Annelise Anderson'" <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'Khetan Gajjar'" <khetan@iafrica.com>
Subject:   RE: user PPP server problem

On Thu, 25 Jul 1996, Anil John wrote:

> Agreed.  But no satisfactory answers have been given to us FreeBSD/Unix
> novices on how to go about setting this up :).  I have a win95 and FreeBSD
> box connected using ethernet. I would like to dial up using the FreeBSD box
> using user mode PPP and be able to browse using the tools I have on the
> Win95 box.  I do currently have a dyanamic IP assigned to me when I log
> into my ISP.  But I have everything setup right such that it works.  I can
> use lynx, ftp, telnet etc from the FreeBSD box.

Oh, I see.  Haven't done anything like that myself.  However, I have used
Win95 to dial Stanford, which assigns dynamic IP addresses...Win95 does
this quite easily, and without any script or the scripting tool if you're
willing to type in your username and password every time.  Or don't you
have a modem on the Win95 box?

> Currently I can ping both ways and in fact I have samba running on the
> FreeBSD box so that I can map a drive from within Win95 to my home
> directory.  I can also telnet and ftp into my FreeBSD box. So I know the
> network link is working.
>

> I put the line proxyarp in under default: section of ppp.conf.  I do not
> have a /etc/ppp/options file.  Should I create one?

No, the options file is for kernel ppp.  The ppp.conf is for user ppp.

>    >
>    >Then in /etc/rc.local I've got:
>    >
>    >
>    ># put your local stuff here
>    >/usr/sbin/arp -s 36.33.0.75 00:20:af:be:eb:e0 pub
>    >
>    >and I have routed -q running.  This is on the machine running as the
>    >server (my office machine).  The IP address in the above is not the
>    >IP address of the office machine, but the IP address that I use for
>    >my home machine, i.e., the client, but the ethernet card number is
>    >the number of the card in the server.  I think if you do this the
>
> I did this too.  I changed the routed flags to "-q" in /etc/sysconfig and
> put the /usr/sbin/arp line in my rc.local with the IP address of my Win95
> box (192.168.0.2) and the ethernet address of the card in the FreeBSD
> machine. Still does not work.  Should I be configuring the client software
> on my Win95 machine any differently?
>
>    >IP address on the client machine and the IP address of the server
>    >have to be on the same network segment (if that is the proper term),
>    >i.e., in this case both the home and office machines are on 36.33.
>
> You kind of lost me here... The network card in my FreeBSD box has the
IP
> address of 192.168.0.1 (set using ifconfig_ed0 in syconfig).  The Win 95
> box has an IP address of 192.168.0.2.  The IP address of the FreeBSD box is
> assigned when I log onto the internet.  Could this be the problem? Do I
> need a static IP for this to work?

They're on the same segment, I think.  And it should work with the
dynamically assigned  IP address if it can work at all.  You might
want to look at the routing tables on the FreeBSD
machine (netstat -rn) and at arp -a to make sure you got what you wanted.
With user ppp I have always had to dial by hand and put in the default
route by hand (after I found out what the dynamic IP address was).  You
might want to look at Win95's routing tables also.

But it seems to me you're talking about dialing an ISP from one machine
(running FreeBSD) and expecting another machine (running Win95) connected
to it via ethernet to be able to use the connection to the ISP to browse,
telnet, ping, etc. the outside world.  I don't even know if this is
possible.

> Any help at all would be appreciated, or at least a pointer to a FAQ...
>
> Anil

Annelise