Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 17:07:43 +0930 (CST)
From:      Justin Viiret <justin@cyburbia.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   AutoPPP with mgetty and pppd

G'day everyone...

Seems like I've been trying to do this for ages now ;) I'm trying to get
the AutoPPP features of mgetty to dump a user into pppd with PAP
authentication based on the /etc/passwd file. I've got that much working -
everything's fine. The only difficulty now is that when a user's logged on
via AutoPPP, he's logged in the wtmp file (there's an entry for his
username when I type 'last'), but he doesn't appear to be being logged in
utmp - so the 'w' or 'finger' commands don't show him. This makes things
rather difficult for user tracking. ;)

Has anyone managed to get pppd to log the user in both the utmp and the
wtmp files?

I'm running stock FreeBSD 2.1.5-RELEASE.

Thanks,
    Justin.

  Justin Viiret                       Cyburbia Network Services
  justin@cyburbia.net.au              Co-sysadmin and busy guy
  http://cyburbia.net.au/~justin/     Voice: 08-379-2492
-------------------[Relax, they're only ones and zeroes]---------------------