Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 1997 16:43:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Kenji Owaki <owaki-kenji@pa.aix.or.jp>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installer cannot find CD-ROMs - 2.1.6

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Kenji Owaki wrote:

> I have two PCs each has one CD-ROM, Mitsumi FX001 and a ATAPI.
> When I booted with boot floppy generated with MAKEFLP.BAT,
> The FreeBSD cannnot find these CD-ROMs. it says no CD-ROM drive
> on the system.  It is true when I booted with INSTALL.BAT.

Do they show up during the boot sequence?  Try hitting 'scroll-lock' and
using the up arrow key to see the boot messages.  I seem to remember the
FX001's not quite coforming to ATAPI spec so FreeBSD doesn't find them.

You might also try moving them to the slave position on the primary
controller if they aren't there already; otherwise, alone on the secondary
controller.

> However, after installing it with copying on MS-DOS partition
> and making its own kernels, it successfully find these CD-ROMs.
> Moreover. I believe with the older version, i.e. 2.1, I could
> install it from these CD-ROMs.

Odd.  I can't say for sure.

Good luck!