Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 22:59:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@ican.net>
To:        Satoshi Asami <asami@freebsd.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Should this port go in ?

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Satoshi Asami wrote:

> Please don't do this, if it's only manpages.  I do "grep foo
> /usr/ports/*/*/pkg/PLIST" all the time to find the port that installed
> a certain file.

Point taken, but couldn't you just as easily do

grep foo /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENTS

To do the same thing ?

> This manpage issue has been bothering me for a while.  Maybe we can
> add a flag to pkg_create to handle this or something.

That would be good.  An even better solution would be some interface in
the Makefiles that allows the PLIST to be built dynamically, or have some
kind of conditional directive, like :

.ifndef NOMANCOMPRESS
man/man1/manpage.1.gz
.else
man/man1/manpage.1
.endif

That is interpreted by pkg_create or the package registration routines
during the installation.

> If the list of files that change is really quite large, then that's
> ok.  (There are already some ports that do this, most notably the
> pkfonts ports, they have separate PLISTs for each resolution.)

That's where I got the idea for the one with compressed man pages and one
without.  (You pointed me there as I recall)

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon				            james@ican.net |
| Internet Canada Corp.                       Voice/Fax: 416-363-8518/8713 |